Answer the following questions regarding the excerpt from “Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun” found below.
1.What do you think life was like on Union Avenue?
2. Canada writes, “Fights were inevitable and often brutal” (Canada, 30). In your own words, what does this statement mean? Have you ever seen fights in school? How often?
3. How do the older boys “make them tough?”
4. In the reading, if one lost a fight at school, what would happen to that person?
5. Why was it considered an “art form” to saunter away without getting caught?
6. In your own words, what does it mean to have heart?
7. What does he learn at school?
8. In your experience is Canada’s statement true about people associating smart students with weakness?
9. Why does Canada worry about junior high school?
10. What are the most valuable lessons Geoffrey learned at school?